Wednesday 25 April 2012

Come on your own, if you want lunch!



Date: 24 April 2012

It was a sheer coincidence that Arun Modgil (see above), India-born, IMT-Ghaziabad-educated, Canada-based environmental-friendly packaging expert focused on global automobile and aeronautical industries, was in India when I sought timeslot to visit one of his Indian facilities.

Since I live in Delhi, my choice was to visit his Gurgaon 25,000 sq.ft facility.

Actually, my request was despatched a couple of weeks ago while he was still in Toronto.

He responded two days saying that I am most welcome on April 24.

I did land up.

We had known each other through Automotive Logistics India conferences over the past two years.

He is an avid reader and read many of my articles on INdian automotive logistics scenario in Automotive Logistics and Finished Vehicle Logistics magazine of London for whom I work as EDITOR India. (www.automotivelogisticsmagazine.com, www.fvl.).com)

He also read my book 10000km On Indian Highways and felt it was a good work. (www.10000kmonindianhighways.com)

When we agreed to meet on 24 April, the only rider was he would provide me lunch if I can reach his factory-cum-office on my own!

I lost the wager because no way I could have knocked on my own given its remoteness - despite the fact that I know Gurgaon like the back of my palm.

One of his Office colleagues (He hates the "Sir" business. Everybody is equal, to him), Manoj, pillionrode me for the last 2 km ride!

The next three hours spent in the company of this Valentine Day born boy (14 February 1965) on packaging design, his take on global automakers and their packaging tastes (inbound), the Indian design engineering talent, his global operations (Canada, US, SouthAfrica, Germany, Czech, China, Thailand .... uf... pardon me, Arun, if I have missed any country) was informative and educative.

His story was interesting. With IMT Ghaziabad degree, he worked for a while in India before packing bag and baggage to pitch tent in Australia with just $400 in his pocket, a career-oriented spouse and a daughter in 2000s. Within six weeks, he found job and got immersed while wife pursued a chartered accountancy career with a global giant. But felt there would be more opporutnity in northern America and chose Canada as his next base. Within no time, got his permanent resident visa. Again, no job in hand prior to his landing in the land of Maple Leaves.

When he landed up his maiden contract with General Motors after almost two years, he blew up all his savings. But the contract was huge. Yes, there was some teething problems in getting the  requisite moolah as every bank refused to bankroll despite Canadian govt's backing.


He is a born risk taker,  no doubt.

Today, his global empire is across several continents.

In India, he serves Tata Motors and Ashok Leyland and several others.

By the time, we ended our conversation we stepped out for a bite @ Cafe Coffee Day at Ansal Plaza, Palam Vihar. We eat some 'solid' stuff too, despite his 'open offer of no lunch if 'I don't come on my own' rider!

Before parting, we visited Carter Road (opposite Maruti Suzuki plant in Gurgaon)  where roadside car carrier fabrication facilities are always in full swing...

Why? He wants to design a car carrier with side openings.

His design team has begun preliminary work six weeks ago.

For a more detailed story you have to wait for sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment